- I am grateful for warm Sprite and weak tea. Oh, and saltines.
- I am grateful that I don't get food poisoning often and that my wife does not travel often.
- I am grateful my Beloved is coming home tonight.
Thursday, October 25, 2012
- I am thankful food poisoning does not kill. It just feels like it does.
- I am thankful that I have friends who are doctors. And who love me. And who call me withing minutes of receiving a text that says "Call me."
- I am thankful my son is so good and mature and helpful.
Saturday, October 20, 2012
- I enjoyed N.C.'s bar mitzvah so much. It was so joyful. I miss that. I am so glad we were invited!
- The Universe smiled on me today! A Brooks Brothers trench coat for only $15! A Kenneth Cole suite for $25! I'm verklempt!
- It was so nice to spend the whole day with Michelle & Noah. Walking on Central Street in Evanston, samples of bread at Great Harvest Bakery. Singing in the car on the way home. I love them.
Friday, October 19, 2012
- I am thankful for coworkers who understand. One in particular. One who makes going to work an okay thing. I'm pretty lucky that way.
- OK. This sounds douchy. I made a really good yeasted plum tart for desert. It was really, really good. So I'm glad I made it and thankful for the writer who published the recipe.
- My son doesn't have a lot of homework this weekend. I love him bunches, and I hate to see him work so hard, day after day. He deserves a break now and then. I'm grateful when he does.
Tuesday, October 16, 2012
- My beloved cousin, Sister C., had a successful knee replacement today and will be up walking on it later today. She has some difficult rehab ahead of her, but G-d and the doctors will see her through.
- I found a surprisingly affordable, lovely winter coat. It is everything I was looking for, and softer and more beautiful than I expected to find in my price range. I'm gonna be smokin' in Paris come December!
- I got to talk to my friend, Nancy, today. Nancy was in Africa for work for a couple of days, and I missed her. Best of all, she's coming for Shabbat dinner on Friday, so we will get to hear all about her trip!
Monday, October 15, 2012
- I am grateful for my story. Life isn't easy, and mine is no exception. But my story is mine, and it has made me who I am, and I am all right with that. I am comfortable in my own skin -- finally.
- I am grateful for laughter. Today I celebrated with a friend who will have a double mastectomy on Wednesday. She and I and 100 of her closest friends laughed a lot. And that is good. That is healing.
- Today I had a wonderful apple. Perfect. I believe it was a Tango varietal. It tasted like apple cider.
Saturday, October 13, 2012
- I baked brioche this morning, made a mincemeat pie, and made choucrute garni with five kinds of meat for dinner. I am grateful for the ability and opportunity to do something I love -- cook -- for the people I love.
- I am thankful my friend Nancy returns from over 2 weeks in Africa. Moreover, I'm thankful I have a friend like Nancy.
- I have a neighbor who, when she noticed the woman who was supposed to come and clean the cottage, came and cleaned it herself. On one hand that's a little weird, but it means I didn't have to do it myself -- and after having the new roof put on, it was desperately in need! So I am grateful!
Friday, October 12, 2012
- The sun is shining, it smells like fall, and we have nothing to do this weekend but enjoy it.
- It was really busy at work today, but I still managed to get out reasonably on time! This means I got to the cottage earlier than expected.
- I love our little cottage. I love being here. I don't think I've ever been as happy as I am today.
Thursday, October 11, 2012
- I have had a great week at work, I've gotten a lot accomplished, but I am still glad today is Friday Eve. The weekend will be welcome and the rest earned, and for both of those things I am grateful.
- There was a young woman giving out free samples of Jimmy John's sandwiches on the corner. That and a cup of soup made for the perfect lunch.
- I am grateful for Jessye Norman and her recordings of Spirituals. I listen over and over, year after year, and never fail to find comfort or inspiration or awe.
Wednesday, October 10, 2012
- I don't know how long it has been since I've been able to say this, but I slept through the night and didn't have a single panic/anxiety attach today. I feel like myself, and I am grateful for that.
- I found a strange, hidden away place for lunch near my office that had Hungarian goulash as the special! I mean, what are the odds? I love goulash!
- My wife, after 21 years, can still make me laugh. I am lucky to spend my life with someone I love.
Tuesday, October 9, 2012
- I had a good day at work. I got a lot done. I completed a project ahead of when I thought it would be completed. This feels good.
- I enjoy knitting lace. It is good to make progress, even if only a couple rows. I'm glad I picked up my needles.
- My son is amazing. He's 15 and already three feet smarter than his Pop. I thank G-d every day for him.
Monday, October 8, 2012
- I am so grateful for my group at Gilda's Club. Every person there has been through so much, yet group is like 90 minutes at The Improv. Laughter is great medicine.
- I am grateful Pret a Manger has brought back their tomato & feta soup! Only 195 calories in a bowl, so I can have two rolls (100 calories) to go with!
- I work with some really talented, knowledgeable people who teach me new things every day.
Saturday, October 6, 2012
- I am grateful for the sound of a gentle rain on the trees and the roof, the cool breeze, and the hooting of the owl outside my bedroom window.
- I am an excellent baker and I am thankful to have the means to bake wonderful things whenever I wish and also that I have so many friends with whom I can share my baked goods.
- I am grateful for this weekend alone. I wouldn't want to do it every time, but I feel almost like I am on a retreat this weekend.